Sunday, March 5, 2017

Welcome to March

It was a good week for our new roles in the temple. The load was light.  Nevertheless, things went smoothly.  As Pres. Assard said, “Il n’y avait pas de sable dans la boîte à vitesse”.  (Translation: there wasn’t any sand in the transmission).  He was an engineer for Mercedes-Benz in Germany before resigning to return to Ivory Coast many years ago to share the gospel message in his homeland.

Tom caught a cold and missed a day and a half in the temple trying to get better.  Since it was a head cold, the most likely pathogen was the rhinovirus.  It is among the smallest of viruses and with 99 recognized human types it has been very difficult to create a vaccine.  Given that we are in Africa, he decided that this must be an African rhinovirus, or with a bit of editing, an African Rhino virus.  That sounds much more exotic than the common cold, but it isn’t.

As we have explained in the past, one of our joys is helping young missionaries in the MTC help navigate the website to prepare names of deceased parents or siblings for proxy work in the temple.  This week, Tom was able to help one of the office workers in the temple.  Her father’s death had not been properly recorded in church records and she fussed that it had made it difficult to navigate the program and perform some of his work.  As they talked about that, he said, “Let’s take a look”, so she logged on to her account to check her father’s information.  His death date was recorded there and it said he had temple work which could be done.  With a few mouse clicks, she was able to print out the slip with his name so that she could have him sealed to his parents.  A simple bit of serendipity perhaps, but she had a big smile when she left the office.

One of the senior missionary couples who teach temple preparation classes brought 5 people with whom they had been working to the temple yesterday to receive their own ordinances. One of them was a young blind man.  It was heart-warming to see how he was carefully guided about by different people in the process. There is a blind woman who attends  the temple 2-3 times every month. She is very faithful and happy to be there. It makes one wonder if what we see in the temple has anything to do with physical eyes.

Sue had a scare this week when her CPAP machine quit blowing air. She has used it four years and during one sleepless night was panicked about oxygen getting to her heart. Elder Pierson [Mr. Fix-it] and Tom took the machine apart and figured out that the machine was fine but the plastic ribbing supporting the hose was broken, and this allowed the hose to twist and cut off the air flow. They used some medical tape from our first aid kit to fix it.  What  a great relief it was for her to sleep 8 hours last night.

Tomorrow is the 60th anniversary of Ghanaian independence from Britain. There will be many celebrations throughout the country with fireworks in the evening. We will most likely not leave the compound but have a quiet day near the pool.  Welcome to March! 1/6 of 2017 is already over.

No comments:

Post a Comment